Tuesday 15 September 2015

Sheffield


We're at the Sheffield Lyceum for two weeks. It amazes me, after all this time, that there are still audiences left to see this show. When you consider that this is our fifth visit to Yorkshire this year, or how near we are to towns that we've already been to - Nottingham, Stoke, Bradford, Leeds, York - it's astonishing (and quite exciting) that we're selling here as well as we are.

The last time I worked in Sheffield was in 1998, in Michael Grandage's wonderful production of Twelfth Night, with Malcolm Sinclair as Malvolio, Una Stubbs as Maria and Daniel Flynn as Orsino. We played for about a month in the Crucible, next door; and rehearsed in this room in the Lyceum.



For 17 years, I've always spoken about that show as the production I'm most proud to have been involved in. By the end of this year, I've a feeling that, from now on, I might be speaking of another play.

2 comments:

  1. I remember that Twelfth Night! There were fantastically camp dancing sailors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I remember the sailors; but I was the one banging the stick in the dance in Orsino's court at the beginning. That was *quite* camp.

    ReplyDelete