Thursday 9 July 2015

Cornwall

Painting by Fergus Hare

We're at the Hall for Cornwall in Truro this week. I think, of all the places we visit on this tour, this is the one that I've been looking forward to the most. Cornwall's my favourite part of the country, it has a deep significance to the story (I wrote about our trip to Polperro here) and Cornish audiences, in my experience, are right up there with the Irish. We've had a wonderful reception so far, and the reviews have been lovely.

We get very little free time; so there'll be no surfing, long walks or paddling at remote, unspoiled beaches. The week will largely be spent sweating through our usual physical routine and then moving on, with scarcely a moment to look up and enjoy that we're here. But, in many ways, just being in Cornwall is enough.

Next week we'll be in Oxford: home of Curious Incident's author, Mark Haddon. Anyone with a passing interest in his book and 45 minutes to spare should listen to this.

Update: we received this from an audience member who'd come and seen the show in Truro:

"My husband and I were lucky enough to see you all perform in Truro on the 11th of this month. The show was sold out and we were only in town for the weekend on a whim, but we waited at the box office with nothing to lose and fortune smiled on us.
It was worth every second of that wait and more.
Every detail was so incredibly well executed and I can’t tell you what an emotional roller-coaster you all took me on.
My heart burst with emotion on several occasions. I spent the whole show fluctuated between booming laughter and uncontrollable tears that continued throughout the show and long after. I could not look away, even blinking through tears, it was all so deeply captivating. It hit me so strongly. It was immensely powerful and hit (on occasion) a little too close to home.
It was moving and cathartic and beautiful. If nothing else, it was beautiful. The range of human emotion portrayed so delicately and truthfully draws the viewer in so deeply it was like looking into "Christopher's" psyche and watching his thoughts and memories unravel.
You should all be so proud of what you've all achieved. It was a joy to watch. I congratulate each and every member of the team for creating such an incredible and unforgettable experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment