Tuesday 30 June 2015

Space

The final frontier, etc. After months embedded in the head of Christopher Boone, I'm afraid to say that I'm no closer to an undiscovered passion for maths. However, like him, I do have a passing interest in outer space. I was reminded of this last night as I walked back to my Southampton digs after the show: the dull mile that punctuates my day. Being late June, the sky was far from dark at about 10.15pm; but I could see two solitary, distinct lights in the sky.


I guessed that the brighter of the two was Venus (I don't know much about stars, but I remember my dad telling me that the brightest star in the sky was in fact our neighbouring planet); and a brief bit of investigation (what did we do before smartphones?) quickly led me to discover that I was, with my naked eye, looking at Jupiter.

That's right: Jupiter. The largest planet in our solar system, at a distance of at least 365 million miles, just casually making an appearance in the evening sky (and its moons, if you look even closer). I try to never use the word 'awesome'; but how can you not feel awe at something like that?

I'll have another look on my way back tonight, too. By then we will have just completed our 200th show. Still a way to go.




No comments:

Post a Comment